Liquid Diet Meal Plan
While your body recovers from surgery and adapts to a new normal, use this sample plan as a guide to help map out your full liquids phase.
The Liquid Diet (a.k.a. Phase 2, the Full Liquids Diet, or the Liver Shrinking Diet when utilized pre-op) starts after a short phase of clear liquids after weight loss surgery. Your surgeon will instruct you on when you should transition from clear to full liquids, likely sometime between 2 and 7 days post-op depending on which procedure you've had.
A high protein post-op liquid diet can help you meet your bodies nutritional needs while it recovers from surgery.
Daily Goals for Post-Op Liquid Diet: 5 small liquid meals scheduled at regular intervals throughout the day with the goal of reaching a minimum total of 80 grams of protein
- • BariatricPal Protein Soup, Chicken Bouillon prepared with 1 cup skim milk
- • BariatricPal Protein Soup, Cream of Mushroom prepared with 1 cup skim milk
- • BariatricPal Hot Chocolate Protein Drink, Irish Cream prepared with 1 cup skim milk
- • BariatricPal Protein Soup, Cream of Vegetable prepared with 1 cup skim milk
- • OvaEasy Egg White Protein, Chocolate Cake prepared with 1 cup skim milk
- • BariatricPal Protein Soup, Savory Onion prepared with 1 cup skim milk
Use only under the supervision of your doctor.
Aim for AT LEAST 64 ounces of fluid each day. That will keep you hydrated so surgery is easier and recovery is easier. Drink water, flavored water, or another calorie-free beverage that is caffeine-free and non-carbonated.