What Are Patch Vitamins?
Can you get vitamins from a patch? Is there really an alternative to swallowing pills to get your vitamins? Should you try patch vitamins after weight loss surgery? There are some questions and answers that can help you understand patch vitamins. Be sure to talk to your healthcare provider about the best nutritional supplements for you and before taking any new dietary supplement.
What Are Patch Vitamins?
Patch vitamins are vitamins, minerals, or other ingredients that are in a patch. Instead of taking your vitamins by mouth, such as in a capsule, chewable tablet, or liquid droplet, you can apply a patch with those same ingredients.
What Are Some Benefits of Patch Vitamins?
There are many benefits of patch vitamins. Here are a few.
- You can take them without swallowing anything.
- You can take them at any time, with or without food.
- They don’t interfere with nutrient absorption from food.
- They aren’t affected by malabsorptive bariatric surgery procedures that could lead to deficiencies if you are using oral supplements.
- They are free from sugar, gluten, and latex.
- They often contain higher amounts of active ingredients, or a wider variety, compared to oral supplements.
- They can be suitable for weight loss surgery patients who have trouble swallowing capsules after their procedures.
How Are the Nutrients Absorbed?
It’s a common question! How can you absorb nutrients if you’re not taking them in through your mouth? It can happen!
Vitamin patches contain active ingredients suspended in a matrix. When the patch comes into contact with your skin, the ingredients are mobilized due to heat.
Keep in mind that nutrients aren’t used until they’re absorbed into the bloodstream, so it’s not critical that they go through the digestive system. With patches, nutrients are absorbed transdermally, or across the skin, into the capillaries that contain blood. In that way, ingredients in patches can enter circulation and get where they need to go.
How Do You Use Patch Vitamins?
It could hardly be easier. Here are the steps.
- Select an area of skin. The patch will stick better if you choose an area of skin without hair, lotion, or oil residue. Clean and dry the skin.
- Remove the release liner from the patch.
- Adhere the patch to your skin, pressing firmly.
- For best results, it is recommended to wear patches for 8 hours. There is no additional benefit wearing the patch longer than 8 hours.
- When finished, remove the patch, fold in half, and discard.
- Repeat with a new patch the next day.
Do I Have to Be Sleeping While Using Patch Vitamins?
No, you don’t have to use patch vitamins overnight, though you can. Patch vitamins are designed to be used at any time, day or night. They are flexible and able to stick to your moving body, so you can work out and go about your regular activities with them on. They can even go in the shower.
Are They Hard to Use?
Some brands of patch vitamins can be hard to use because the adhesive backing does not come off easily. That is not the case with Patch vitamins. They come with a backing that is easy to peel off.
Which Patch Vitamins Are Available?
The BariatricPal Store has all kinds of patch vitamins. It’s safe to say that almost any vitamin you could get in a capsule, tablet, gummy, or other oral form is available in a patch. There are patches with essential nutrients and way more.
Here are some examples of patch vitamins.*
- Complete multivitamin and mineral
- Specific vitamins or minerals, such as vitamin D, iron, calcium, vitamin B12, and vitamin C
- Non-vitamin and mineral compounds, such as omega-3 fatty acids, coenzyme Q10, and other antioxidants
- Patches for specific conditions, such as joint health, eye health, and brain health
- Patches for weight loss via appetite suppressant, metabolism boosters, and fat burners
- Patches to relieve symptoms such as from migraines, PMS, or menopause.
- Patches for in-the-moment, such as for sleeping, relaxing, or energizing.
Whatever your goal, there is almost certainly a patch to help with it.
Which Patch Vitamins Should I Use?
It’s best to talk to your doctor about which vitamins may be best for you. The patch vitamins that you choose should be the ones that you and your doctor agree may help you reach your nutritional, weight, and goals. It’s okay to use multiple patches at once, so you don’t have to settle on just one.
Will People See My Patch?
It is easy to make sure people don’t see your patch. Many patch vitamins come with an option of a clear backing, and they all come in an option with a light tan color. You can also use your patch at night to make sure people don’t see it, or you can put it on an area of skin that will be covered with clothing.
Are Patch Vitamins Okay for Bariatric Surgery Patients?
Yes, actually, they’re great! Bariatric surgery patients can have trouble with oral supplements due to trouble swallowing after surgery. Another concern is reduced absorption during digestion after malabsorptive procedures.
Patch vitamins don’t require patients to swallow anything, so they can be a lot easier to take. Plus, they aren’t competing with nutrients from food for absorption. Many vitamin patches are higher in active ingredients than some oral supplements, and can be closer to meeting goals than oral supplements.
Can Kids Use Patch Vitamins?
As long as your child’s pediatrician agrees, patch vitamins are fine for kids. We even have two patches specifically designed for children: a Kids Multivitamin Patch and a Sleep Aid Patch for kids. Parents can rest easier when they know their children are well nourished, and life can be smoother without begging children to swallow their vitamins.
*The Food and Drug Administration has not evaluated these statements. Vitamin patches are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. Anyone with a medical condition should seek the advice of a licensed medical practitioner. Individual results may vary.