Weight Loss Surgery and Weight Regain
Have you stopped losing weight after weight loss surgery? Have you gained some or even all of it back? That can be disappointing, infuriating, and frustrating. But do not let it be discouraging!
Even if things are not as rosy as they were before surgery or after it as you were losing weight, the fight is not over. You can get back on track. And when you do, the pounds can come off again. The BariatricPal Store has guidance and products that can help.
Reasons for Weight Regain
Weight loss surgery may have started out just like you thought it would, with the pounds coming right off. And then the pounds stopped coming off. And then they started coming back on. What happened?
These are common reasons given for weight regain after bariatric surgery.
- Stretching of the pouch or stoma.
- Eating more foods that are high-calorie.
- Eating too fast or drinking caloric liquids with meals.
Redoing the Post-Op Progression
The post-op progression let you establish new eating habits as your body healed after surgery. You may not need to redo the progression over the course of weeks or months like you did at first, but going through the steps can help reset your habits. Plus, it can help you get back in touch with feelings of fullness versus hunger. It may even let your pouch reduce in size so it is more restrictive like it used to be.
A Reset Diet goes through these phases.
- Liquids, which may include Protein Shakes and ice pops.
- Pureed foods, which can include Protein Pudding, Protein Oatmeal, yogurt, applesauce, pureed cooked carrots, and pureed eggs, for example.
- Soft foods, such as cooked fish, cottage cheese, ground turkey, canned tuna, melon, beans, and cooked vegetables
- Solid foods, such as vegetables, chicken, tofu, whole grains
Or, you can skip right to solid foods and make sure you measure proper portions. Follow the old rules, like eating protein first at meals, chewing thoroughly, and not drinking liquids with meals.
Great-Tasting Diet-Friendly Foods
There is a chance that you went off track because you started eating high-calorie foods that you craved. This time around, you can prevent that by choosing high-protein, low-carb versions of comfort food, junk food, and craveable food. These are some examples of products at The BariatricPal Store.
- Protein Pasta and Zero-Carb Bread so you can make your own dishes.
- Protein Mac and Cheese and other Protein Entrees.
- Protein Chips and Protein Pretzels.
- Protein Cookies, Protein Cake, and Low-Carb Baking Mixes.
- Protein Cereal.
- Protein Bars from Kirkland
Along with fixing up your eating habits, there are some strategies for getting back on track and staying there.
- Weighing yourself often. This keeps you accountable.
- Going to a support group, in person and/or online. You are not alone in this!
- Exercising regularly. It gives you confidence and can motivate you as you feel your body moving.
- Engaging in self-care. Getting enough sleep and managing stress do not just feel good. They keep pounds off.
Plateaus and weight regain are definitely not fun, to say the least. But they can be turned around. Take stock of where you are, and make a plan that may be like your initial post-op diet. Then come to the BariatricPal Store to stock up on the high-protein, low-carb products that may help you stick to the plan while loving your diet. You may see that weight regain turn right around!