What to Stock up on for Your Bariatric Liquid Stage
The post-op diet is strict for bariatric surgery patients. You progress from clear liquids to full liquids. Next come pureed or mushy foods, finally semi-soft, and solid foods. As you prepare for surgery and the first days or weeks of recovery, you will want to stock up on high-protein liquids to stay nourished without needing to chew anything.
The best liquids for this stage are:
- Sugar-free or low in carbs
- High in protein or low in calories
- Great-tasting and varied
- Convenient and easy to use
The BariatricPal Store has a full range of liquids that are suitable for a post-op bariatric surgery diet. Here is an overview of what to stock up on for your bariatric liquid stage.
Sipping Broth and Hot Tea and Coffee
Water may be the most important nutrient after bariatric surgery, but staying hydrated can be more challenging than you might think. Not only can it be difficult to swallow water after surgery, but it can taste different than it did before surgery. Low-calorie flavored beverages can help you get your liquids into your body. These are some options.
- Sipping Broth in flavcors such as Delight Pho and Spicy Tortilla
- Decaffeinated Acid-Free Coffee
- Republic of Tea herbal teas in a range of flavors
Protein Shakes and Smoothies
Protein Shakes are basic needs for post-op bariatric patients on a liquid diet. They can give you the protein you need to recover from surgery and keep up your immune system. The BariatricPal Store has Protein Shakes in a variety of flavors and forms. These are some of the options.
- Single-serve packets, ready-to-shake bottles, and multi-serving tubs.
- Chocolate, Vanilla, Strawberry, Salted Caramel, Strawberry Banana, Aloha Mango, and almost every other imaginable flavor.
- Refreshing Fruit Protein Drinks, also sugar-free, in flavors such as Pink Lemonade.
- Meal replacement shakes with extra vitamins and minerals, with choices including BariatricPal Protein One Shakes with fiber and essential vitamins and minerals.
Protein Soups can give you a savory alternative to sweet Protein Shakes on a post-op liquid diet. Our soups are delicious and low in carbs. Examples include Cream of Tomato, Cream of Chicken, Chicken with Pasta, Broccoli Cheddar, and Beef Bouillon. Most of them have 12 to 15 grams of protein, which is several times more protein than most canned soups and broths. They are absolutely delicious.
Protein Hot Drinks
Protein Hot Drinks can be welcome after bariatric surgery, which is a time when you might feel cold or shaky after the procedure and while you are losing weight. Protein Hot Cocoa and Protein Cappuccino are just a few examples of the low-sugar, high-protein choices that can be welcome on a liquid diet after weight loss surgery.
The BariatricPal Store has products for the liquid stage and every stage after that. Check out our collections of clear and full liquids, puree-friendly foods, and solid meals and snacks. A high-protein, low-carb diet is easy and fun with the right foods, and we have great-tasting varieties.