Why Protein Is So Important After Bariatric Surgery (And How You Can Get More Easily)
Protein is an essential nutrient for everyone, but it takes on special significance after weight loss surgery. That’s because you need more, and it can be harder to get enough. Still, with liquid proteins such as Sugar-Free Protein Shakes from the BariatricPal Store, it can be simple to get the protein you need.
Why You Need Protein
Protein is a source of calories, but that’s not its only value. Protein is necessary for maintaining your immune system, keeping metabolism up, and helping you maintain strength and muscle mass while you’re losing weight after bariatric surgery. Protein is also a filling nutrient, so it helps you keep hunger down for longer after a meal or a snack.
Getting Protein in Your Diet
A common post-op goal for protein is at least 65 grams daily. For some patients, the goal is higher. Surgeons and nutritionists usually suggest eating your protein first at each meal to make sure you get enough before you get full.
These are some high-protein foods that are common for bariatric surgery patients.
- Cottage cheese
- Skinless chicken breast
- Lean ground turkey
- Plain Greek yogurt
- Eggs and egg whites
- Low-fat cheese
- Beans and lentils
- Salmon, tilapia, tuna, and other fish
Getting in one to two servings of these at meals and snacks can help you reach your goals.
Why You May Need Extra Protein
Sometimes, regular foods just don’t cut it when it comes to getting enough protein. There are many reasons why you may need extra sources of protein. These are some examples.
- You’re on a liquid diet and can’t eat many or any high-protein foods.
- You cannot tolerate certain high-protein foods, such as dairy products or meat.
- You get sick of limited options after bariatric surgery.
- Your pouch or sleeve is so small that you can’t fit in enough solid protein foods to hit your goals.
In these cases, you may need liquid proteins. The BariatricPal Store has a variety of low-carb and sugar-free options, such as the following.
- BariatricPal Protein One, with vitamins, minerals, and fiber, and in flavors including Chocolate, Vanilla, and Strawberry.
- BariatricPal Clean Whey Protein, with probiotics and in flavors including Chocolate, Vanilla, and Strawberry.
- Other Protein Shakes, including in flavors such as Salted Caramel, New York Cheesecake, and Chocolate Peanut Butter.
- Protein Fruit Smoothies, including Strawberry Banana and Aloha Mango.
- Protein Hot Drinks, such as Hot Chocolate, Mocha, and Hot Chocolate with Marshmallows.
- Protein Soups and Bouillons, including Cream of Mushroom, Cream of Chicken, Cream of Tomato, Beef Bouillon, and Chicken with Pasta.
They’re all suitable for post-op bariatric surgery patients on a liquid diet.
The BariatricPal Store is here for you after bariatric surgery, and that includes making sure it’s easy to get enough protein. Even when you’re on a liquid post-op diet, or you’re on the go, or you are having trouble getting enough protein from food, it’s easy to get enough protein when you use Protein Shakes and other Protein Drinks. They’re delicious, low in carbs, and designed to help you reach your goals.