4 Stages of Eating after Bariatric Surgery
Have you just had bariatric surgery? Are you preparing for a weight loss surgery procedure? Then you need to know what to eat after it. Eating right can:
- Make recovery faster and easier.
- Keep you nourished while you recover and beyond.
- Set the stage for healthy weight loss without weight regain.
- Help you establish eating habits that can make your weight loss journey easier.
So what are the 4 stages of eating?
- Stage 1: Clear Liquids
- Stage 2: Full Liquids
- Stage 3: Pureed and Soft Foods
- Stage 4: Regular Foods
In each stage, getting the right nutrients without too many carbs or protein is critical. The BariatricPal Store has products that are suitable for each stage that can help you with your nutrition. Plus, they can keep you interested in your diet because they taste so good.
Stage 1: Clear Liquids
This lasts only a day or a few. It is not nutritionally adequate. It can include these liquids.
- Sugar-free gelatin and Protein Gelatin
- Sugar-free ice pops
- Decaffeinated tea and coffee
Stage 2: Full Liquids and Watery Pureed Foods
In this stage, you want to focus on getting more protein without adding sugary shakes or other liquids. You may also add a few healthy carbs. These liquids or watery pureed foods may be appropriate. Many of them are available in our store.
- Protein Shakes, including in Chocolate, Vanilla, Strawberry, Cinnamon, and more flavors.
- Protein Soup, such as Cream of Mushroom or Tomato, Chicken with Pasta, Broccoli and Cheese, or Beef Bouillon
- Protein Fruit Drinks and Smoothies, such as in Mango, Pineapple, Cranberry, Strawberry Banana, and other flavors.
- Pureed cottage cheese.
- Protein Oatmeal, such as in Peaches and Cream, Apple Cinnamon, Plain, and Maple Brown Sugar flavors.
- Plain yogurt
- Mashed banana
Stage 3: Pureed and Soft Foods
The digestive system is starting to heal at this point, but it still cannot handle all types of solid foods. It is best to keep them soft at this point.
- Cooked fish, tofu, eggs, and ground turkey.
- Protein Omelets
- Well cooked vegetables
- Ripe fruit
- Cooked beans, lentils, or peas
Stage 4: Regular Foods
At this point, you can eat a variety of nutritious foods. Focus on protein and vegetables while avoiding too many carbs or fatty foods.
- Protein Cereal
- Protein Pretzels, Chips, and Puffs
- Protein Entrees, such as Protein Pasta entrees, Vegetable Chili, and Chicken Enchilada Verde - to name just a few.
- Zero Carb Bread and Pizza Crust
- Fruits and vegetables
You may be able to handle most healthy foods, but keep in mind that you still may have trouble tolerating certain foods. Salads and meat are commonly hard for bariatric surgery patients to handle for months after the surgery.
The post-op diet progress is important for setting the stage for healthy weight loss to come. Your surgeon or nutritionist can give you the details of the diet you should follow, but it is likely to progress from clear and full liquids through pureed and soft foods to regular foods. The BariatricPal Store has great-tasting, convenient, and appropriate products to keep up your protein intake while keeping sugars and carbs away.