Strawberry Season and Weight Loss Possibilities
Strawberry season peaks in late spring and early summer, and we hope you are getting your share of these favorite fruits. They are nutrient-packed and so versatile that you can have them at any meal or snack. With some good pairings, you can turn strawberries into your weight loss trick of the season. The BariatricPal Store has what you need!
The Goodness of Fresh Strawberries
Those sweet, juicy strawberries are as healthy as they are delicious. Strawberries are among the fruits with the fewest calories and least amount of sugar per serving – each cup has 53 calories and 8 grams of sugar, in comparison to, for example, a cup of banana, with 134 calories and 18 grams of sugar. Plus, strawberries have filling fiber, the antioxidant vitamin C, and blood pressure-lowering potassium.
Strawberries for Breakfast
Strawberries for breakfast does not need to mean a stack of pancakes with 800 calories or a parfait with 40 grams of sugar. Pair your strawberries with some high-protein choices, and you can have a weight loss breakfast with a sweet twist and no guilt. For 150 to 300 calories and over 15 grams of protein, you can add a cup of sliced strawberries to any of the following.
- A packet of Protein Oatmeal. Optional: add 2 tablespoons of ground flaxseeds.
- Protein Pancakes. Optional: add 1/2 cup Greek yogurt.
- A parfait with Protein Granola and Greek yogurt.
Strawberries for Lunch and Dinner
Strawberries are not just for breakfast and dessert. They can be part of a savory lunch and dinner, too. Try these quick ideas.
- Strawberry pasta salad with Protein Pasta, diced arugula, chopped tomatoes, avocado, and balsamic vinaigrette.
- Peanut butter and strawberry sandwich with Powdered Peanut Butter on Protein Bread.
- Spinach and strawberry chicken salad with cooked chicken breast, spinach, red onion slices, sliced almonds, and Low-Calorie Honey Dijon Dressing.
Strawberries for Snack and Dessert
Strawberry pie: 500 calories. Strawberry cheesecake: 7 grams of saturated fat. Strawberry shortcake: 45 grams of sugar. Who needs it? Use fresh strawberries and high-protein, low-carb partners to put together your own guilt-free snacks and desserts, such as:
- Cottage cheese with strawberries and walnuts.
- Vanilla Protein Pudding with strawberries.
- Chocolate Protein Cake with strawberries.
Let strawberries work for you, and not against you, as you work to lose weight. Add great taste and filling fiber to your meals and snacks, and keep out unnecessary sugars, fats, and calories. It’s not hard when you have help from The BariatricPal Store!